Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Week 3 of Chemo..... 1 month since Diagnosis

Monday April 29th, 2013:

I'm a day behind but Monday Marked the 3rd week of Chemo and 1 Month since Riley was Diagnosed. WOW, 4 weeks went so fast, but yet so dang slow. In fact I can't remember a whole lot about the first 2 weeks.... probably better that way, at least for now!
Turned out to be a really LONG day....
We met with Dr. Meyer's and it was finally time to get the drain out!!! YAY! ....... Not so much.... It REALLY hurt when she pulled it out..... AND..... I almost threw up!! I knew a nurse was not my calling in life!! haha!

I am absolutely amazed at how well Riley has healed since surgery. I don't know anyone who can have this major of a surgery and be out 2 weeks and 3 days later throwing the football. He is such a fighter and doesn't even know it! I am so proud of you Ri!

The surgeon said we are good to go and we don't have to come back until after chemo treatments when it's time to take the port out. So off to Chemo we go!

On the elevator up to the 4th floor Riley was getting really scared and kept saying, "mom, after I get my Chemo, can we go home?" I said yes. While all the other elevator passengers looked at us with such sad eyes.... I guess it's not everyday you hear a conversation like that in the elevator!
We got there and it was such a fight from the minute we walked in.
HE IS JUST DONE..... and we have 22 more rounds to go.
This is how he ignores everyone!!
It is so exhausting. Riley knows it's going to hurt, so how do you comfort him when he is crying and screaming and won't let you or the nurses lift up his shirt to access his port. He is so strong. I was SO grateful to have Chris there to help me today. Riley LOVES daddy but he was fighting him too. We all had to pull together and finally hold him back and just do it. (BIG SIGH) (only 22 more, only 22 more).

Here are his counts this week:
WEEK: 1  2  3      
  HGB:   14.1    12.9       ??         (less then 8 is bad)   
  Hct:    41.8%    37.8%   35%    (less then 24% is bad)   
  WBC:  10.5      4.7         3.6      (5.5 is a low normal)
  PLTS:   621      288        272     (less then 30 is bad)    
  ANC:   7.6       3.0          2.2     (less the 1 or .5 is bad)
His Whit Blood Count and ANC are pretty low. These 2 are the ones that determine whether or not we do Chemo that day. If they are to low, we will postpone for a week. The ANC is pretty much his immune system. Once that gets to low he can get a bad infection, fever, pneumonia, etc. all of which will put him in the hospital. I feel like we have done such a good job at keeping him away from people and germs and he's still low. It amazes me how fast he can get sick and how fragile he is right now. Next week scares me even more because his counts will be lower from today's treatment and on Monday he will be getting the hardest drug and a higher dose then he's ever gotten. Which will deplete him even more. (so don't get mad when I don't answer the door! We need germs to stay outside!!)
After a long 4 hours at P.C.M.C. we were exhausted!!
Daddy gets to ride with Riley while mom drives!
We have some amazing friends who own Western Heating and Air, Ryan and Angie Snow. They came to the house and donated/installed a "blue light filter" that kills germs and bacteria as it flows through your furnace. It keeps your house cleaner, free from dust, and was exactly what Riley needed for his immune system. Thank You so much for doing this for us!! 

TUESDAY NIGHT:
Riley has done wonderful the past 2 days now! He gets spurts of energy then crashes on the couch!! His appetite is very decreased but were trying to stay up on it! His taste buds are all over the place and what was good yesterday or for the past 3 days, does NOT taste good today! Even a Fruit by the Foot!! 
Love my little trooper!! Even when we've watched Madagascar 2,500 times!!!
Isn't he beautiful!! Hair's getting thinner but not gone yet!














8 comments:

  1. Riley, hardly know you but I hope you know your in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a rockstar! I love the backseat cuddles with daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my heavens...I love that big smile in the last photo! We love you guys and pray for a speedy recovery every single day! Hang in there....Hugs for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that face and that huge real smile. He is so darling. I love the updates and the honesty. You can do this! April is over.... YAY. Love you guys. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I would be a terrible nurse. I had to sit down and look away when my girl needed stitches. Don't be scared honey... but Mommy might get light headed and not be anywhere near the table your laying on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You
    Are
    Amazing

    so much love and hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Riley, I came across your page tonight after I couldn't sleep. I'm in Primary Children's Hospital with my 2 year old boy that has Stage 4 Wilm's Tumor. It's soooo good to see that there is hope down the road. We've been here for a week and had our first Chemo yesterday. My little guy's tumor is inoperable so we are hoping to operate on it after 6 weeks of chemo. But your story is encouraging to us as we prepare for the weeks to come!!! Good luck little buddy and God Bless. Jay "Team Derek"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, in only a way we can understand.... this comment made me so happy! I have been asking for weeks now if there is another kid at P.C.M.C. with the same thing so we have a support friend! If you are up to it, we would love to meet you guys. If not, that is fine too. We are up there every Monday for Chemo and sometimes in between too! Here is my contact info: Brandy Smith smitty_bh1@yahoo.com email me to get more info. I am also on Facebook: Brandy Smith
      Hang in there little Derek, I just know your a fighter too!! It's scary but we have your back!!
      Riley Rocks Cancer!!

      Delete