Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 4: Radiation

-->
Day 4 of Radiation: Thursday April 18, 2013
WHAT…. A…..Disaster……..
Riley remembers the first time we came to radiation for imaging and the laughing gas mask they made him have, to put him to sleep. Every day he asks if he has to do that again (with tears in his eyes, it was pretty traumatic). And everyday it should be a NO, because his port is accessed, well……
Riley’s port line was getting a little hard to push fluids through, but last night when I flushed it, it was still okay and I was getting blood when I drew back, which is a good sign! But by this morning, it had plugged up so much that we weren’t getting any blood return, (which happens often with ports). So when we got to radiation, we were supposed to have them do a procedure called TSA to break up the line. Well, the anesthesiologist wasn’t “comfortable” doing that, which made me mad because it was a change in nurses today anyway and they pretty much knew nothing about ports and were asking me questions….. WHAT?? I was so nervous and angry…. They were working on my son. I asked them to just de-access his port and re-access it but they said they didn’t know how…???? So instead they gave him Versed and 4 of us had to HOLD him down kicking and screaming while they put him to sleep with the mask, then they did an I.V. in his arm. He was so mad when he woke up. I had to climb on the gurney with him to hold him down while we were being taken to recovery. He was OUT OF CONTROL. That medicine makes him crazy and mean. And it doesn’t wear off for about an hour to 2 hours.
After we left L.D.S. hospital, we had to go to P.C.H. to have them look at his port… THANK GOODNESS for them!! Love them! They did exactly what L.D.S should have done, de-access his port and put a new line in. It would have saved the fighting, screaming, biting, kicking, and crying, had they just done this in the first place. Man, I was so frustrated, I almost lost my cool all morning. And I’m sure Riley is traumatize for life!
Just before we left, the meds wore off and I had my sweet boy back! Thank you Abbie Taylor for going with me and helping me today! Tomorrow better be a breeze, because I can’t do this again! And dang-it, if we have to go through all of this, can’t it at least be smooth?????
Ahh, miss these easy day's with this sweet boy!!
My girl Abbie!!

2 comments:

  1. If they ever have this problem again have them use Precedex. Versed is Evil. Kahlan always had bad reactions with Versed. With precedex all they have to do after is give him more fluids. Sorry it was a hard day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang...I'm so sorry. Stupid heads...I feel like driving up there and slapping the crap out of them all!!!
    I'm glad Cariann has a better suggestion for you...and I hope it works better for that cute little guy! Hang in there sweet pea...you're stronger than you think you are...and you're going to get through this! We all love you and your wonderful family so much! Hang in there and know our hearts and prayers are with you!

    ReplyDelete