Friday, April 19, 2013

Day 5 of Radiation:

-->
Day 5 of Radiation: Friday April 19, 2013
Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers because today went awesome!! We had the head anesthesiologist and he had 20 years experience with kids and it went so so good!! I took some good advise and stood up for Riley when I nicely asked that the anesthesiologist from yesterday, better not be there on Monday!
Since a lot of you have never and hopefully will never see a port or the inside of the radiation room…  
                                                  We took pictures today!
Here is the port: On the right is how it is under Riley’s skin in his chest. On the left is how they access it, with that needle, then they push medicine through it with that syringe. Every time they access it, we have Lidocaine cream that numbs his skin so it doesn’t hurt.


When we go into radiation, I get to hold him while they inject the meds in his port and he doesn’t even know it. He just falls asleep in my arms then we lay him down. I tease him everyday and say “Riley, are you going to fall asleep today again?” and he always says “no, I’m going to stay awake today!!”
                                        This is the machine that just “takes pictures”.
I stay in the room up until they begin treatment then after about 5 minutes, I go back in with the doctors to un-hook him and wake him up. 

Just finished!! It still isn't easy seeing my baby like this.
                                            Then were off to the 3rd floor for recovery!

We just need a set of vitals and then we are good to go home!! 5 days down, 1 to go!! YAY!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Brandy...this just puts tears in my eyes!!! I can't imagine how scary that place is to the eyes of a 5 year old!!! That would scare the tar out of ME! Riley is one lucky little boy to have such a good mama! You're amazing lady! I'm so so so grateful today was better! LOVE YOU LOVE YOU LOVE YOU! You are an inspiration to us all! (If you need another shoulder to cry on, we're here for ya! Just come over anytime!)

    ReplyDelete