Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 3 of Radiation:


Day 3 of Radiation: Wednesday April 17, 2013
Today we started with throw ups just before we arrived at the hospital, first thing in the morning! This was a little concerning to the anesthesiologist because if his belly wasn’t better while being put out, he could aspirate and the acid could go into his lungs, which is very dangerous. Riley said he was feeling better so the decision was made to go ahead with it but he would be given a high dose of Zofran and also a steroid called dexamethason, this is to “help” so he won’t throw up afterwards up to 6-8 hours. HaHaHaHa! I asked, “what if he does throw up though?” ….he won’t…..”but, what if he does?” …… he won’t…..”but, what if he does?” HE WON’T, but it is okay to give more Zofran. Well…… He did, before we even got home. (Momma’s instincts, right there!!) He also threw up 2 more times before the afternoon was over. What the heck? Poor thing. We now have an assortment of throw up medications: Benedryl, Zofran, Dexamethason, and Advair. Which we rotate and fight EVERY single time to get him to take them.

The funny part was, all he wanted on the way home was chicken nugget’s!! And at 9:45 in the morning, NO ONE sales them!! Who knew??!!!  I’m just grateful for my support system today, Heather Francom! Without her, I would have throw up all over the car, twice!!
Such a wonderful friend!!
We also had home health come by last night to flush his port, I didn’t realize I would be doing it from here on out!! A little scary knowing I’m messing with his direct line to his heart. It’s okay, I’ve got this! I think I’ll be a nurse before this is through!!

7:45 rolled around and we all were off to bed for a GOOD night sleep!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment