Wednesday, May 22, 2013

E.R. visit

Sick boy...CHECK, E.R. visit.....CHECK CHECK, Dinner at 10:45 Mcd's drive through.....CHECK CHECK CHECK. All of which I would like to avoid ever again!

Yesterday, Tuesday, Riley was doing good in the morning but by the time 3:00p.m. rolled around and he hadn't eaten, drank anything or pee'd. We had a problem.
I finally got him to drink about a cup of apple juice and 5 minutes later he threw it up. So I called the Doc's. They asked if he had a fever, it was 99.7. They were concerned with dehydration. So they said to take him to the E.R. They told us we could go to Utah Valley and if needed they would send us up to Primary's, so we thought that was a great idea..... closer to home and faster...... not such a good idea!
Of course, right before we left which was about 6:30p.m. he drank about 3 cups of apple juice and kept it down, but he needed more.
For the first time I looked at my little boy and SAW that he was sick, I mean really sick. He is now a CANCER PATIENT. He's loosing hair again (which stopped for the last week and a half), his eyes are very sunken in and red and he is so lethargic it's scary. His body is really bad today at regulating body temperature, he goes from hot to cold in 1 minute. He is just sick.
So we took him in and I requested a private waiting room so he didn't need to be around anyone, which they were fantastic about, then we got a room with a door! Not a curtain!! So I was VERY happy about that. The Doctor's and nurses were good until they needed to access his port. Oh man, Riley was already scared and I don't know if the nurse had never done one or if he was having a bad day, but he missed the first time putting the needle in and Riley just screamed....oh good heavens...... So we had to take it out and try again. I thought I was going to throw up I was so on edge and just sick for Riley to have to do it twice. Thank goodness it worked that time and we got anti nausea meds and fluids. About 4 hours later, we were unhooked and on our way home.

Dehydration can be serious for some kids but for Riley it's very serious, because he only has 1 kidney. When you get to dehydrated, you can go into kidney failure, so it's a big deal for us.

Thank goodness for aunt Jen for staying with Hunter and "trying" to get him to go to sleep!!
Hunter laid there and asked so many questions about what was going on with Riley. He even asked if Riley was awake when they did the surgery and cut him open! He said, "that will be good when Riley heals and his scar isn't there anymore", I said, it will always be there. And he couldn't figure out why when the doctors said he would heal and be all better!! Love him!!

I couldn't sleep in my bed, I had to sleep right next to Riley, I couldn't leave him so sick. Back ache and all, I had to make sure I was there the moment he needed me.
He was tossing and turning and winning in his sleep all night, and he woke up about 6:30 this morning with a fever of 100.5, but we were able to cool him off and it hasn't come back yet. He just took about a 2 hour nap and is now complaining that his ear really hurts and the top of his head.
I can't decide what to do, every mommy feeling I have is to take him back to the doctor, but he has no major reason to go. I just want to have him be seen to "make sure" he's okay. I guess because I have never really seen anyone this sick and it scares me. But I also know how bad the hospital scares him too.
I guess a call can't hurt anything!! I'll report back later!







2 comments:

  1. I am sorry Brady. So so sorry. YOU CAN DO THIS. Riley is strong and a fighter. Heavenly Father will be right there with you. I love you so much. I am so sorry Ri guy. Love you all. You are not alone.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bran, I so admire you and love you. You are AMAZINGLY strong, and one day when things settle down, you're going to look back and read this and realize what huge strength you have. The good thing is, that even when you're angry, the Lord gets it. He's so much more aware of you and every thing you're experiencing here than we know. Of course you're going to be asking why. I am too. i think all of us are. But I promise you that God isn't done with you or us or especially Riley yet. Wait on the miracles because they will happen. Good always wins in the end. That's what my dad used to tell me on my hardest days: We know that God has better in mind for us, because he promised us it would be all good in the end. And this is NOT all good. There is better ahead! So keep having faith, dump the feelings that overwhelm you out in prayer, and let the Lord put peace there instead. Really there's not much other option, and I know he will help. And then, once your nose is sufficiently red and snotty, and you are finally still, fill yourself up with something good. A good book, or uplifting pics, or (if you're me) something to make you laugh. I love you, and would love to be your 'support system' one of these days. Call me with a date, and I'll get a sitter. please!
    Love you,
    Beck

    ReplyDelete