Monday, May 13, 2013

Chemo day 5!

Today was Chemo day 5 and it actually went better then planned! Riley still cried and screamed and told me he didn't like or love me but I expect that every time. For chemo this time it was just Vincristine, so it was a quick one syringe drug, so they were able to access his port, draw labs and give the drug in about 3 minutes, so they didn't tape him up or take us back to infusion, they just did it all in the room. It was so nice, I think taking the tape off hurts the worst! 
Here is his blood count:

WEEK: 1  2  3   4   5    
  HGB:   14.1    12.9       ??      11.7    10.7    (less then 8 is bad)   
  Hct:    41.8%    37.8%   35%  33.2%    30.2%  (less then 24% is bad)   
  WBC:  10.5      4.7         3.6    4.2     2.3  (5.5 is a low normal)
  PLTS:   621      288        272    347   280  (less then 30 is bad)    
  ANC:   7.6       3.0          2.2     1.5    1.5 (less the 1 or .5 is bad)
   

 We are so surprised that his counts are standing strong especially after last week!!! 
Riley usually tolerates Vincristine like a champ so this week should be pretty smooth UNLESS..... he gets his mom's cold....uggg, I know, how in the world did I get sick? I have the worst sore throat and runny nose. If Riley gets it he may be able to fight it off, if not, he will get a fever and if it's 100.4 we will be admitted. Let's hope he DOES NOT GET IT!
 So I had to wear a mask to treatment today....

 And here is my wonderful support system today......
Calie!! (Kiki D) she thought she would have to hold Riley down with me, thank goodness for the other 3 nurses so she didn't have too!!! Love ya Cal!!
So I found out today that Riley's tumor weighed 6 pounds..... WHAT???? Calie is 8 months prego, so I looked at her and said holy crap, he was carrying around a baby that weighs probably about as much as yours does right now!!! I can't believe it, 6 pounds!! No wonders he......
-Didn't want to play for very long
-Didn't want to ever ride his bike and when he did he could only make it about 2 blocks before he was to tired to ride it back home.
-Didn't want to bend over and pick things up
-Always said he was to tired to do any chores around the house
-He always asked for us to do things like get him dressed, I told him he was lazy on a few occasions.
Riley always loved to swing and I noticed that he would swing for a minute then he would stop pumping and let himself come to a stop then he would just sit there for a bit, then he would start again. He would repeat this while he was swinging. Now I know, he got tired and to worn out to keep pumping. 
2 days before we found this tumor, we went up the mountains and had a little family bbq. Hunter and dad wanted to go for a hike to find some sheds. Riley decided he wanted to go too, so I started to walk with him up the hill. We didn't get very far before Riley asked if we could turn back, he was to tired to keep going. So we did and on our way back down, he said "mom, why doesn't Hunter get tired like me?" I felt so bad and I think that's when I realized something wasn't right either. 

Here is a graphic picture of the tumor outside Riley's body...... lookers beware!!! 


The ruler is 6 inches long..... holy crap!!
We are just so dang grateful that monster is out! 

Tonight it "clicked" in Riley's mind, he said " when all the cancer bugs are out of me, I don't have to go the doctor anymore?, not even on Monday's?" ..... I said NOPE!!! He got the biggest smile!! 
Love this boy!! 

I have an update on the BAKE SALE FUNDRAISER!!! Brinley brought over another $63.00 tonight, that her extended family gave her, making our total $471.58!!!! THANK YOU to each one of you!!! 

I'm excited to announce a fundraiser for Riley on July 13th, here in Salem. I will post more info as soon as I can but for now, save the date!! 

We are still so thankful and grateful for each one of you that are still praying on our behalf. If nothing else, this experience has taught us the power of praying for others.
Especially those times when I am so exhausted that I can't make it through a prayer, I know I can count on you to pray for me and my family. 
So thank you!!  
With so much Love, the Smith's!

 












1 comment:

  1. Hi Brandy. I just found out through a post on Angie's fb what you are going through. I will add you and your son to my prayer list. Documenting this is a great idea. Remember, Philippians 4:13 ~ "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." That is a verse I hold onto. ~ Cindy Walker

    ReplyDelete