Thursday, May 23, 2013

3 FOR 3: Hospital visits

Well, we are on a roll!

I decided to call the doctor about Riley's ear because it was just getting worse and his temperature was still all over the map, one minute his was 99.8 then 4 minutes later he would drop to 97 then 8 minutes later he would be in the 99's again, this went on for hours. I turned the air on because he was getting so hot and it was easier to cover him when he got cold then it was to try to cool him down.
They finally got back with me around 3:00p.m. and said to go to our pediatrician to get his ears looked at then have them page our oncologist Dr. Sato. We went in about 3:50 and of course my wonderful Doctor wasn't in, so we had to see his partner.
He confirmed that there was inflammation and fluid starting to pool behind his ear, not a full blown ear infection, but with Riley's immune system it could be in no time! So after talking with Dr. Sato, they decided we needed to go to the hospital and get a blood culture and antibiotics. (SIGH).... access his port again???? When I told Riley this, he just bawled and bawled. He was sooooo sad. He said, "mom, I am very very scared." It was so sad... I cried and said me too!
We had to put the numbing cream on his port and wait an hour, so we went home and got dad and headed back to Payson Hospital. By this time we had to register in the E.R. and there were 2 girls helping us. I asked one of them if they had any experience with ports and they looked at each other and said no, and that they would call lab techs and ask them. After several minutes, they got back to us and said NO, no one had any experience with ports..... in fact, they had never even seen a port before.....WHAT??? THIS IS A HOSPITAL.....WHAT??? I was so dang mad. I said thank you but no thank you, you are not touching my son!
So we drove to Utah Valley. (I know I said we wasn't going to go there again, but we did!) Once we got there, the nurse that came out happened to be one of my good neighbors up the street! I was so relieved! I knew he would help us!! And he did, after a few calls and ultimately getting us to the 3rd floor ped's where there was a cute nurse that had some experience with ports and did a fine job!! Thank you so much Brad with everything!! It could have been REAL bad without your help!!
When we looked at his port from the night before there was a Hematoma on it. Which is a little dot of blood where the last needle was inserted but it caused swelling and bruising which could be a problem if this next port access was on it. So it was a little concerning but we were able to make it work.
We were there until about 9:00p.m. We had a run around with calls to the dr. to order the meds, then getting them from pharmacy, so it took a long time but in the end we had a dose of antibiotics and some fluid. They took a blood culture so they can detect germs in the blood and see what kind they are and possibly where they started from so we can adjust his antibiotics to get rid of the infection. They will have this tested over the next couple of days and get back with us. So for now, we have an oral antibiotic to give him everyday for 10 days.
 
When we got home, Riley finally eat some cereal!! It has been about 48 hours since he has eaten anything, so this was a big deal!!
Here is my sick boy..... but he still has a smile on his face! Love him!!



Today is Thursday and so far so good!! He is fighting me on the antibiotics but he did eat a tiny bit! He also slept in til almost 11:00a.m. ...... Sure wish mom could have too!! Oh well, at least he is looking and feeling a little bit better!

I am still so frustrated.... I spared you a lot of the little details that made this night even worse, all I can say is..... Can UTAH COUNTY HOSPITALS get some trained employee's that can access ports in under 4 hours that have heparin on hand!! GOOD GREIF!!!
I think I need a nap and a Valium!! I am just sick about the last few nights and I think I might see if there is a class to take on accessing ports so I can just do it at home then take him in!! Haha!! I wish!!



3 comments:

  1. oh my heavens...this just makes me want to cry. I can't believe you guys are going through this!!! How stupid is Utah Valley...but I had a thought...there is a cancer center right across the street from Utah Valley...on the west side of the street....I would think they'd be better equipped to handle these types of emergency trips than a regular hospital...it might me worth checking out so you don't have to bounce around and wait that long! That's just absurd! I'm so sorry dolly...and the next time you are coming up to Provo please let us know so we can come with you...we can watch Hunter for you right then and there!!! I love you guys so much and so does your dad...we pray for you non-stop! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your story. My own daughter (6) finished treatment for Leukemia almost a year ago. We are in Orem. Its been a while since we were doing the frequent ER trip thing, but our preference was AF hospital. I don't know if you have any experience with them, it sounds like they might be farther away from where you are. There were nurses in the ER who could access ports, but I do recall them saying that IHC was moving to only allowing the head nurse to access ports. Which was insane, because the other nurses had more experience than the head nurse did. This may sound horrifying, but one option is to access it yourself at home BEFORE you get there. I know of a family whose daughter is allergic to EMLA and she hated the spray so she (a 4 year old) opted to do port accesses with no local numbing at all. But she would only let her dad could her port. If you're interested in support, there is an online group for Utah cancer moms that is incredible that I can get you added to. It is completely private and a great place for practical advice and support in how to navigate all aspects of this awful experience. There are other moms of children with Wilms tumors, etc. The combined experience of these ladies is invaluable.

    I hope your sweet boy gets over these fevers soon! Stupid, stupid cancer.

    Chelsie Young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Chelsie, Yes please add me, that would be wonderful!! What info of mine do you need? You can email me at smitty_bh1@yahoo.com
      Thank you for your advise! A.F. is further but still a better option! I hope your daughter is doing good! And you too!!

      Delete