Friday, August 16, 2013

Thursday August 15th...... My eyes were opened....



Today was one of those days..... Perfect!!
Everything was wonderful and we had the best day! In fact the last little bit we have had such good days!
All the world was right and then.......
We found 2 bumps on Riley's head.
I felt our world slip out from under us.
The anxiety was in full force, it was all I could do to just breathe. My gut hurt so bad and I just wanted to throw up. I had to leave the room because I started to bawl, HYSTERICALLY.
I WAS A WRECK, to say the least.
I felt feelings that I hoped I would never have to feel again. I immediately went back to April 1st and could only think of the worst.... was this cancer that had spread?

I had felt Riley's head about 7:00 p.m. because I wanted to cut the straggler hairs off, which he wouldn't let me, and there was nothing there. But by 10:00 p.m. he had a golf ball sized bump on the top back of his head and a small quarter sized bump on the top side of his head. He had not bumped it and they didn't hurt. We immediately called the on call Oncologist.......
The nurse did not know what it could be, she told me about 6 times. GREAT! SUPER!! She said they don't do CT's at night so if we came in they could only do an x-ray and that may not tell us anything. She said to probably wait until the next morning and come in. YES..... THAT IS COMFORTING. Just what I wanted to hear.
Here are the pics... I promise... looked worse in person!!! 


So here were our options:
1. Just go to the E.R. to probably get sent home and traumatize Riley even more.
2. Call a neighbor with medical experience to see what they think.
3. Call the bishop and get a blessing.
We went with option 3 to start!
By now it was almost midnight and I had cried my eyes out. Of course Riley kept telling me to "STOP CRYING MOM". I tried really hard not to cry by him so I wouldn't scare him, but It didn't work out.
We got the best blessing and felt relief. I knew Riley would be okay to wait til morning to see a doctor. I slept a little bit but was up A LOT to check on him, even though he slept right next to me! I'm that crazy mom!!!

By 9:00 a.m. the large bump was almost gone and the smaller one was half it's size.
After talking to PMC we were told to go see out primary doctor instead of driving so far, then have the Dr. call them to consult.
The verdict......
Infection, looks like infection of the hair follicle.... kind of like a staff infection. It needs to be treated with antibiotics. They said Riley may have woke up tomorrow with them all over his head. We LOVE his immune system!!
I AM SOOOO RELIEVED!!!!
We get Chemo on Monday and they will check him out again. As long as they don't get worse, he doesn't get a head ache or start to throw up, get sick, or a fever..... we should be good over the weekend!

This is exactly why I can't let my guard down. ANYTHING can happen, big or small. Is this ride over yet???

I love my bald big guy!!! 















1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. How scary! I'm glad it wasn't anything worse! PS: Happy birthday on the 15th! Belated, I know, but that's how I roll :) We of course are keeping your family in our prayers constantly. Love you lots!!

    ReplyDelete